Friday, August 26, 2011

Broken Wings


I was sitting in the fairy fort this summer when a dragonfly landed near me on a little wire that Roger rigged up as a trellis for one of the the hibiscus plants. Since I recently took a watercolor class, I was observing the dragonfly as closely as I dared without disturbing him. He allowed me to watch him for about 3 minutes before moving on. I noticed that he had a chunk missing from one of his wings. I was trying to remember everything I could about his physical features. But after he moved, the one thing that stood out in my mind was the chunk missing from one of his wings.

Looking around to decide what to de-clutter, I notice that the fairy statue in my fairy fort has a chip gone from one of her wings. A few years ago, Clay ran into her with his little monster truck, and now her bottom part has been separated from her top. I tried to glue her back together, but it never lasts. So, I usually just prop her up with the bottom and top together. It works until a strong breeze comes along. She's so pretty that I just haven't been able to bring myself to throw her away.

None of us are perfect. I try to do my best, but I, too, have chunks missing in my wings. I have too many faults to list here. But I try.

I can't let go of this little fairy. She is part of the charm of my fairy fort. I will just have to bring my search for the first item into the house. I have lots of closets to de-clutter. And besides, there are many days that I can't tell my bottom from my top. And my wings definitely have chunks missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment